(If you just want to see how painting the office went but hate to read, check out this gallery.)
So painting my office last week definitely didn’t go as planned. First off, the good thing was that only two coats turned out to be needed. The bad thing was that the paint bled through the tape. Apparently I bought really cheap tape. Too cheap, in fact. The edges of the wall were pretty much fine, but the outlet plate and the baseboard had red paint on them.
So at midnight on Wednesday, I set out to WalMart. At 1am, I was back home, armed with a hobby paintbrush and flat white hobby paint. Each coat of paint on the top of the baseboard took about an hour. So a little after 3am, I decided I’d be better off staying up all night rather than sleeping for three hours.
I went ahead and put the furniture back right then, for the most part. The ladder did stay in the hallway a few days, though. I really like how the wall looks.
Prior to painting, I did pick up a new desk. This is for Leann to work at and for people I hire to work at when/if they need to come work at my office. It happens.
I also bought a Superman Returns movie poster to frame and hang. It looks awesome! However, it was much more expensive than it was supposed to be. Let me explain…
The poster was on some website for about $10 after shipping. I thought that was a great deal, so I jumped on it. I figured it would make a good big piece of wall art. When it arrived, I decided I needed to get a black frame for it to go with the decor. I went to WalMart to get one, and it was $20. Well, I suppose I can deal with the whole thing costing $30 instead of $10.
Then I got the poster in the frame, and discovered that although the frame was the right width, it was too tall. So I was off to Hobby Lobby, where a 40″x27″ bright red mat cost me another $15. Ouch. It looks great, but cost me $45.
On top of all that, I’d bought the frame in the morning on my way to work and had left it in the car all day. And on the day where the temperature hit 108 degrees. When I went to hang the poster frame, after getting the mat and everything, it was warped. It wouldn’t hang flat up against the wall.
With my natural ingenuity (yeah, right), I grabbed some foam tape and taped the frame to the wall in several places. It has held for a few days, and hopefully will be a good long-term solution.
I’m done messing with my office’s decor for now!